*Encouragement is the best medicine to give someone. If I were to pick any gift to have in helping others, that would be the one*

Monday, March 14, 2011

Beginning of Our Journey-Part 3

Part 3

What to do?  I had no idea and I just had to trust. It is true in the very beginning Chaz had to be in a special needs classroom.  He was completely out of control in a regular classroom and I was beside myself trying to figure out what the best thing would be. You know what broke my heart?  Seeing him try so hard and EVERYDAY get off the bus, run to me, and just cry in my arms.  He would just sob.  He's say "Mom, would you please just play with me?"  He would just be spent emotionally, physically.  It broke my heart.


Chaz's Update Again

May 9, 2006

Yesterday Chaz had his final test with the school to see where he is at. Tomorrow we meet with all the people that gave the test. The teacher, the psychiatrist, social worker, speech therapist, and academics. The test he had yesterday was with the speech therapist. He failed in the social arena. She said he does everything that is very typical of an Asperger kid. That was reassuring to get a second opinion. She's not the only one. I've had others. 

The first diagnosis came from a psychologist. (Different from a psychiatrist). Basically, Aspergers is "Autistic like qualities but with developed speech". It's basically all in the social arena. He doesn't survive in a normal classroom setting. It's so much harder for Chaz to be put in there and he basically will withdraw himself mentally. This is why he's been to 3 schools in one Kindergarten year. All 3 couldn't teach him because regular classrooms are not equipped for that. There is only 1 teacher to a large size group. So, I am finding out that though I have fought to keep him out of a special needs classroom, he has needed teachers that can work with him. This is not such a bad thing as I thought. I guess times have changed. Now, they try to graduate you out of a special needs classroom into a regular classroom. Once you do successfully, they drop the special needs off of your school record. As if it was never there. 

Chaz will have to take Kindergarten again next year but I was planning on doing that anyway because of Dr. Dobson's suggestion about boys. (Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson). He also has a video of it too. It's a great video our pastor showed in church. When I spoke of my concerns to one of the workers about Chaz being put in a special needs class. The guy said, "Who cares? Who cares what people say. Chaz needs help to learn and be successful. You have to do what is best for him". In fact, if I put Chaz in another regular classroom next year, he would be in the same boat. So, I pray that tomorrow at the meeting, all the kinks will be worked out. That good decisions will be made and we can move forward. If anyone knows of a good school I can place Chaz in around the Tempe/Phoenix area, I would love to get the name of it. Once our house is done being built, I will need a school out there. Take care and God bless! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...