*Encouragement is the best medicine to give someone. If I were to pick any gift to have in helping others, that would be the one*

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Autism & Alleluias by Kathleen Deyer Bolduc

I had an opportunity to read this book, Autism and Alleluias by Kathleen Deyer Bolduc, and I loved every minute of reading it. 

Bolduc does not beat around the bush but gets you right into the story.  This is one of my favorite parts and this is how she starts her book.

From "For Me!" from Autism & Alleluias:
During the boring parts of the service (any part without music is boring as far as Joel is concerned), he twists and turns in the pew, stares at the people behind us, waves at the pastor, swings his feet, claps his hands or stomps his feet (he usually saves these last two for times of silent prayer), and at least once during every service says in a loud voice, "I have to go to the bathroom!"  Worshipping with Joel is an interesting experience.  It's not unlike sitting on the edge of your seat during an action movie, when you're not quite sure what's going to happen next- you only know something is going to happen.

There are so many more stories in this book like this that gave me a chuckle.  I laughed when she laughed.  I cried when she cried.  I rejoiced in their victories!

Something that surprised me about this book was how I was able to have some breif glimpses of life through Joels eyes.  Things I never would of thought of or even taken the time to consider. 

She points out in her book:
What role does faith play in helping familes cope with the challenges of autism?  In this series of slice-of-life vignettes, God's grace glimmers through as Joes, an intellectually challenged young adult with autism, teaches those who love him that life requires:


*Childlike faith
*humility
*trust
*compassion
*forgiveness
*openness to all of God's gifts.

Read her blog HERE!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...